Pranav Mistry (born 14 May 1981) is a computer scientist and Inventor. At present, he is the Global Vice President of Research at Samsung and the head of Think Tank Team. He is best known for his work on SixthSense, Samsung Galaxy Gear and Project Beyond. His research interests include Wearable Computing, Augmented reality, Ubiquitous computing, Gestural interaction, AI, Machine vision, Collective intelligence and Robotics. World Economic Forum honoured Mistry as one of the Young Global Leader 2013.
Here in his own words:
Nothing can be and cannot be one and at the same time and I am. I, myself am Pranav Mistry. ‘zombie’ is my nick name. My father Kirti Mistry is an architect & a technocrat. My loving mummy Nayana cares us all. I have two sisters, ‘Sweta’ & ‘Jigna’. I have a nephew named ‘Jini’. I love my family a lot. I have lots of friends, too. My family is big. I have 5 ‘masis’ & 3 ‘mamas’ & 5 ‘kakas’ & 2 ‘fois’ & … &… & …meet them all and my friends in my photo gallery.
I come from Palanpur, a small town of northern Gujarat, India. I graduated as Masters of Design from IIT Bombay and Masters of Media Arts and Sciences from MIT Media Lab. I completed my bachelors degree in Computer Science and Engineering. Before joining Media Lab, I worked with Microsoft as a UX Researcher. At present, I am a PhD student and Researcher at MIT Media Lab. Thinking is what I love the most, and fortunately my work is to come up with new innovative ideas. 😉
Currently, I am the Head of Think Tank Team and Director of Research of Samsung Research America. Before that I was a Research Assistant and PhD candidate at the MIT Media Lab. In past, I worked with Microsoft, Google, CMU, NASA, UNESCO, Japan Science & Technology to name a few. I received my Master in Media Arts and Sciences from MIT and Master of Design from IIT Bombay. I received my bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Engineering. Oh, I also dropped out of Architecture School prior to that. Palanpur, a small town situated in northern Gujarat in India, is my hometown.
Exposure to fields like Design to Technology and from Art to Psychology gave me a quite nice/interesting viewpoint to the world. I love to see technology from design perspective and vice versa. This vision reflects in almost all of my projects and research work as well. in short, I do what I love and I love what I do. I am a ‘Desigineer’ 🙂
My personal awards and achievements:
- Young Global Leader 2013 Award, World Economic Forum.
- Young Alumnus Award 2012, IIT Bombay.
- 50 Most Creative People of the Year 2010, CREATIVITY 50.
- Netexplorateurs of the Year 2010 award, Netexplorateurs Grand Prix 2010, France.
- TR35 2009 award, Technology Review.
- INVENTION OF THE YEAR 2009 award, Popular Science.
- Young Indian Innovator 2009 award, Digit Magazine.
- Speaker for TED India 2010 talk on ‘sixthsense’, TED India 2010, Mysore, INDIA.
- Speaker for TED 2009 talk on ‘sixthsense’, TED 2009, Long Beach, CA.
- Nominee for Forbes India’s Person of the Year 2009.
- 2nd in SPACE competition in SIGGRAPH2004.
- 1st in Innovation Fair at India level, for project MARBO.
- All India 3rd in Open Hardware Contest in Techfest @ IIT Bombay for DATAG2.02.
- 3rd in Model Presentation at INGENIUM 2002.
- 3rd in Creative art competition organized by ISRO.
- 1st in Design competition organized by IEEE, India chapter.
- 2nd in website designing organized by ACES.
- Selected for the Dirubhai Ambani Foundation Award for securing the 1st rank in district.
- 2nd in on the spot Model Making contest in Techfest @ IIT Bombay.
Besides, my interests in social computing, designing intelligence, AI, robotics, design and HCI I also love….
- Photography (click!)
- R&B & Hip-Hop(Yeah!)
- Gujarati Ghazals(… Palanpuri)
- Trekking and Mountaineering
- Movies(Comedy, Sci-Fiction, Action, …)
- Chinese language and Calligraphy (“Ni Hao”)
- Cartoons(Pingu, Tom&Jerry, …)
- Milk powder
- knowing different cultures and meeting people
- and Thinking 🙂
Visit the personal website: http://www.pranavmistry.com/